Education & School Liaison Officer
This contract is offered at a remuneration of £150 per day for 16 days per month for a period of 2 months. This is subject to change dependent on the needs of the project and will be discussed with successful candidates at the time of an offer.
How to apply
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter detailing your suitability for the role to Iram Quraishi – email@example.com by 30 September, 2015 at midday.
Loop Labs is a nonprofit organisation founded by Nicky Gavron in 2013 with the objective of solving urban challenges using the power of communities. Nicky is the former Deputy Mayor of London, a London-wide Assembly Member and Chair of its Planning Committee. Leading London’s response to climate change, she introduced policies and programmes to reduce C02 emissions across energy, water, waste and
Loop Labs is currently rolling out the “Urban Citizen Science Programme” which is funded by local London councils. The programme deploys air quality sensors and activity trackers amongst homes and families in London communities. These devices are being used as part of an ongoing awareness and behaviour change programme, which is run together with the education programme in primary schools.
Urban Citizen Science Programme
The programme begins with groups of children aged 9–11 years who are invited to participate as “citizen scientists”. An initial recruitment meeting is called with the children and their parents/carers, where they are issued with their citizen scientist lab coats, air quality sensors and activity trackers.
A series of lesson plans have been developed which will form the basis for the four, in-classroom sessions. A sample lesson plan is available to view upon request.
Flipping the science lab from the classroom to the home using the “Internet of Things” means that the children can conduct experiments out of the classroom but can also discuss their findings with their classmates during school time. By involving parents and carers in the investigation the programme catalyses a conversation and awareness at home as well as in school where the children and their parents are co-learners about air quality.
Clean Air Routes
Towards the end of the programme, the children will be asked to map their routes to school. This session will also be led by the Education Officer.
The Education Officer will be expected to support the Community Outreach team/officer at key events involving the schoolchildren.
The selected candidate will preferably need to demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Thorough understanding of the education sector.
- Experience working with primary schools and specifically Key Stage 2 pupils.
- Experience of facilitating workshops with 9 – 11 yr olds
- Experience of managing relationships with teachers and headteachers in a busy school setting
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- An understanding of how citizen science and the internet of things can have educational benefits
- Experience of managing multiple stakeholders
- An interest in the design, development, testing and evaluation of emerging technologies to enhance the sustainability of cities, socially, economically and environmentally.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and pro-actively.
Should the candidate have a theatrical flair (as there are a number of presentations to deliver), that would be desirable, but is not a core requirement of the role.
Tasks and responsibilities
Further develop and deliver Citizen Science programme in schools. Adapting current lessons plans if needed
Recruit, liaise and manage partner schools in Tower Hamlets, Lambeth and Southwark throughout the duration of the project.
- Organise and deliver relevant school engagement workshops/assemblies to ensure maximum participation.
- Organising the children’s presentations of their findings to the local communities.
- Lead on the monitoring and evaluation of the programme. Writing case studies and briefs, supporting documentation and supporting fundraising applications.
- Contribute to the organisation’s communication channels such as the website, social media, newsletter and presentations as appropriate.
Other responsibilities may be added depending on experience and need.
Applicants should have a passion for education, enterprise and community development, technology, health and the environment, which are Loop Labs’ core concerns.
The Education and School Liaison Officer will report to the Project Manager. We value diversity and welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, regardless of age, race, gender, colour, sexual orientation, disability, religion or belief.